Wednesday 17 February 2010

To My Old Friends (and How I'm Shit At Fantasy Footie)

This season my 'Fantasy Premier League' team has been a disaster, simply because I could not leave the team alone. I have been the kiss of death to the form of many a player this season in my quest for points, using up my weekly transfer allocation greedily, and often losing points for additional transfers, but nearly always too late. The prime example seems to be Jermaine Defoe; he stuck five past Wigan in an incredible 9-1 victory (which considering Spurs' current form seems like an eternity ago) so of course I signed him at the expense of Adebayor and made him Captain too. How many league goals has he scored since? He's probably missed more penalties than scored goals. Clint Dempsey - on a brilliant run of form for Fulham pre Christmas, so I sign him and sure enough he's crocked probably for the rest of the season. These are just two examples misguided errors of judgement I have made week in and week out. Like the scab on your knee after falling over as a kid, heed the advice - leave it alone and it will get better quicker, but I just had to keep fiddling........................

So if there is a player you would like to see have a sudden dip in form (I'm not going to say 'or you would like to see injured' because that's just plain wrong) let me know and for a small fee I could arrange for him to ruin his career by means of a 'virtual' stint with the phenomenally bad 'Tweets And Twinchers'

Far more successful has been my management of Deportivo (my late Spanish Grandad-In-Law's favourite team) in 'Soccer Manager' (you've guessed it, another online, free to play management game) I took the club over 7 games into last season (a season lasts about half the length of the normal 'real life' season with two games per week) when they were rock bottom with 2 points from 7 games. I sold a few duffers, signed Crouch, Felipe Melo and Von Bronkhorst (to name but a few) and turned things round to the extent that they missed out on a play-off spot by a goal difference of 1!

The new season starts on Sunday and the virtual message board tells me that my chairman expects promotion this season. I'll see what I can do.................

As if that wasn't enough, I have taken on a second 'Soccer Manager' club, Brighton and Hove Albion, who incidentally are 'playing' as I write this so I must scarper.

I just want to say that my involvement in these games (all thanks to the persuasive skills of my fine friend The Prof) has been a great way of keeping in touch with a whole load of great friends and colleagues who were once a very major part of my life, and even if it is just the occasional 'I'll whup your arse in the replay' sent via private message(which is no subsitute to the few pints and nappy night at Empire like in the old days), at least it's some contact and that's always better than none.

Aaaah - good old days with good old boys.

Col

No comments:

Post a Comment