Wednesday 23 March 2011

Typical me really. My New Years resolution for 2010 was to write and maintain a daily blog. It started brightly in January and had dried up by the middle of February, barring the odd return; the last being my ecstatic retrospective review of Paul Weller's 'Heliocentric' written during my enthusiastic catch up on his back catalogue early last summer. All the old entries are still there as I log on this evening for the first time since last summer; some are interesting snapshots of where my mind was at just over a year ago, there are some interesting reviews and a few things I will still stand by, but much of it reeks of desperation, when I began to realise that it is not easy to even try to be interesting, amusing and thought provoking on a daily basis and also began to run out of ideas (my tirade against my ineptitude at online fantasy football games and my detailed tour round my 'fittie folder' are particularly awful) In the end the best advice I received was from one of the two (yes, two) followers of the blog, my beloved brother Brian, who suggested I was at my best when reviewing or just rambling on about music, movies, TV shows or books. If Brian was politely saying 'this is because the rest of the stuff is pure shite' (which I'm sure he was, without trying to in any way offend) then it was advice well received and well heeded - apart from what I'm writing now of course.

So, a little over a year down the line I suddenly have a thought. 'Why not kick a bit of life back into old Arthur and get the blog going again?' I'm hardly in a good place to be starting to blog again really; I need to keep the momentum going on my search for permanent employment that will go some way towards paying the bills and I am two hefty assignments and a full on exam away from completing the latest module of my degree course (Open University, English Literature and Language) - so many excuses really. I wouldn't have dared to so much as open the blog page during the first ten miserable weeks of this year when I was completely out of work (something those close to me will be painfully aware of from my constant griping) but at least for now I have some temping work which I am enjoying, so purely as a means to relax of an evening and share a few thoughts with anyone who cares to read, then why not - I'll give it another go.

I'll leave it at that for now (sorry Brian - I will heed your advice from now on) except to say that if you do read this, or any future blog posts, please do get in touch with ideas; music, movies, books, TV or (day I say it) anything that you think might benefit from, or be totally destroyed by The Thoughts of Chairman Arthur. You have been warned.

Coming soon I strongly suspect; Led Zep III, Wolf Creek and Stephen King's 'Full Dark No Stars'.

So having got all that off my chest I'm quite looking forward to getting this going again and with some allowance for excitement I can say for the first time in a long time....... more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment